Current Primary Research
- Impact Mechanics: Hypervelocity Impacts and Shock Processes
- Planetary Science: Asteroids, Cratering, Disruptions, Scaling
- Solid and Continuum Mechanics and Structural Analysis
- Finite Element and other Computational Tools
- NASA: "Equilibrium Shapes of Solid Solar System Bodies"
- What shapes can solar system bodies take on if they are soils or rocks?
- How fast can they spin without disruption?
- What is the required strength?
- When will tidal forces break them apart?
- NASA : "Models and Code Calculation of Impact Processes in Asteroids and Solar System Bodies"
- What analytical models of material behavior are needed for impacts into soils and rocks?
- What features of the model affect what features of the results?
- How do different models in the community compare in outcomes?
- What actual data is available for calibration?
- Compare calculations using newly developed models to the field data and other code results